November 14, 2023
Lead Producer – ARGOS: Riders on the Storm (TCP)
If you have are having trouble submitting the form, please submit your resume to: email@example.com
Who We Are
OtherSide Entertainment is an independent game studio with offices in Concord, MA, and remote staff throughout North America. Our mission is to create deeply immersive games that draw players into richly imagined worlds; games that empower players to choose their own play-style, making their experience unique and personal; games that encourage players to team up with their friends and weave their own shared narrative; the kind of games that are powered by our players’ vision as much as our own. Together, we aim to evolve the “player-authored” tradition of Ultima Underworld, System Shock, Thief, and Deus Ex – all games developed by the company’s founders, Paul Neurath and Warren Spector.
We are looking for a Lead Producer to join us in forging the next generation of immersive simulations that explore and emphasize multiplayer gameplay. Strong candidates for this role will be masters of organization and communication, comfortable managing schedules, support, and relationships across our remote working team and outsourcing partners, and deeply passionate about operating top-tier teams in a healthy and sustainable way. Ideal candidates will have demonstrated expertise managing game development pipelines, a passion for the kinds of games we make and love, and possess a strong understanding of blended and dependency-driven production methodologies.
While our team includes some of the industry’s top developers with a heritage of award-winning games, we are proud to have crafted a unique culture that values smaller teams and celebrates tight collaboration. This is an environment that encourages and empowers individuals to make the kind of impact that is simply impossible when they are cogs in a giant machine.
What We Need
The “ARGOS: Riders on the Storm” team is looking for candidates with previous experience in a game production role responsible for the creation and delivery of game features, assets, and technologies. As a distributed, remote-first team, we want to speak with candidates that have a deep understanding of the complex, inter-dependent pipelines, scheduling, and asset tracking necessary to deliver on the vision for our upcoming PC/Console immersive sim. Your focus on bringing an easygoing working style to both internal team members and external partners will be key to success in this role. The road to creating innovative immersive simulations is anything but straightforward, so your ability to contribute towards future models and forecasting will help ensure we have the time, resources, and problem-solving necessary to deliver on our mission.
This position will report to and work closely with our Project Director.
- Lead the project: Own the execution of the game as the leader of the production discipline, including budget, timeline, staffing, roadmap, and KPI’s.
- Communicator in Chief: develop and maintain healthy and timely communication across all disciplines, leads, individual contributors, and stakeholders. Model transparency, candor, and kindness to help foster a psychologically safe environment.
- Own the schedule: work with the team to identify work, scope and prioritize effectively, identify and avoid dependencies, and mitigate project risks through effective scheduling. Keep everyone informed and reality-based about what the team can accomplish and when. Create and maintain robust short- and long-term project roadmapping, deliverable definitions, and milestone processes. Meet-or-beat budgets and timelines.
- Grow the team: own the staffing plan for the lifecycle of the project. Instrument and support effective strategic partnerships with co-developer and outsource/contract team members.
- Be the hub for Production: facilitate constant communication across teams, and drive for transparency wherever it may be lacking. Champion the needs of our developers, and strive to help them bring the best to their craft every day. Empower stakeholders with the information, context, and insights needed to help us work in concert together.
- Be a Production craft mentor and manager: Own the production discipline for the entire project. Set, manage, and mentor team and Production staff in production frameworks, processes, and methodologies. Manage the performance and development of 2+ direct reports.
- Lead with wisdom and courage: identify problems, and propose solutions, before they are asked for. Drive alignment around key issues, risks, and obstacles across the team, leadership, and stakeholders. Form and maintain a strong understanding of the Big Picture of our game’s production across departments and initiatives. Own outcomes, and model accountable and authentic leadership to our teams.
- Champion our Others: excellence of craft must be maintained in balance with our commitment to provide a high quality of life to our teams, and each other.
- Balance the budget: contribute to financial planning and P&L management for the game, in partnership with the Project Director and executive stakeholders.
- Represent OtherSide to the world: manage relationships with 3rd parties, and embrace opportunities to represent our team at conferences, networking events, in video/blog posts, etc.
All Qualified Candidates Will Possess
- 5+ years experience as a Producer or Project Manager on video games in an Agile environment, with 2+ shipped titles under your belt.
- Experience leading development on one or more Games-as-a-Service titles.
- Battle-tested knowledge of agile and game development.
- Experience leading game teams through full development cycles, from Concept to Launch.
- Ability to operate with significant autonomy, and to mobilize cross-discipline teams to do their best work.
- A growth mindset and self-starter attitude.
- Strong communication and coordination skills, highly detail-oriented.
- Strong prioritization, flexible multitasking ability, and ability to handle disruptions with grace.
- Friendly, empathetic, and adaptable working style.
- Passion for making and playing games.
- Proficiency with Slack, Trello, Jira, Confluence, Miro, Google Docs, and/or similar production tools.
Exceptional Candidates Will Also
- Demonstrate ability to drive high velocity, high impact development cycles that strike a balance between short-term needs and long-term thinking.
- Have proven experience running highly efficient, well-bonded remote working teams.
- Be comfortable communicating at varying levels, from team members to executive stakeholders, both internally and outside of the company.
- Have mastered the complexities of development support for “games as a service”.
- Have an understanding of immersive simulation games, and be unafraid to bring their perspective and opinions to brainstorming sessions and workshops.
This is a full-time, remote working role, with competitive compensation and a full suite of benefits available anywhere in the United States. All team members in leadership roles, like Production, may be asked to occasionally travel for key meetings, as part of their job responsibilities.
Our people-first approach to game development celebrates diversity, and strives to create a safe and inclusive working environment where everyone is treated equally, with dignity, and with respect. We highly encourage candidates from diverse and under-represented backgrounds to apply, even those that may not directly meet every qualification listed for this role.