August 22, 2022
Lead Software Engineer
Who We Are
OtherSide Entertainment is an independent game development studio based in Concord MA, with employees located throughout the United States. We are focused on providing players with innovative gameplay, immersive worlds, and engaging narrative. Our specialty is what we call “player-powered” experience in the tradition of System Shock, Thief, and Deus Ex – games developed by the company’s founders, Paul Neurath and Warren Spector. Our team has made games that have collectively garnered over 200 industry awards and earned over $5B in revenues.
You will play a key role on the OtherSide team as we push the state-of-the-art for immersive, player-powered games as we have before. You will work with some of the industry’s top developers on an innovative project in the immersive sim tradition. We’ve created a unique culture in a smaller team environment that champions tight collaboration and both encourages and allows individuals to make the kind of impact that is simply impossible when they’re cogs in a giant machine.
What We Need
We are looking for a Lead Engineer to join the team working on a new original game that is currently in pre-production. You will be a vital part of a development team that fleshes out the game. You will help solve some challenging technical problems, and work in tight collaboration with the engineering team, as well as with leads in the other development disciplines across design, art and audio to ensure we are collectively making a great game.
- Lead technical development on the game while improving our shared engine technology.
- Work collaboratively in a team setting to build and own significant features.
- Work with other leads to make feature schedules and resource trade-offs.
- Help build, support, direct and mentor a small team of engineers.
- Share knowledge, motivate and inspire others to generate new ideas.
- Author and maintain technical specifications.
Criteria for Role
- 6+ years game industry experience, with 3+ years in a senior engineering role, and proven leadership experience..
- Shipped at least one AAA or Triple-I 3D game, on PC or console.
- Skill developing responsive and robust multiplayer features.
- Solid experience with building gameplay systems; AI experience a plus.
- Solid experience developing games in Unreal Engine 4 or 5.
- Experience and skill programming with C++ in a professional environment.
- Responsive to the needs of designers, artists, and other engineers.
- Good instincts for game design from a player’s perspective.
- Robust communication skills with engineers and other disciplines.
- Self-motivated, proactive and able to work with minimal supervision.
- Solid experience with next-gen console development a plus (PS5 or XBX).
- Passion for games across genres, and immersive sims in particular.
- Positive demeanor, strong work ethic, sense of humor.
This is a full-time role with competitive compensation and a full suite of benefits. We are fully open to considering candidates who are remote and based anywhere in the US, and who are able to visit our Boston area office every 3-5 months for team in-person gatherings.
We are committed to having a diverse workforce. We strive for a fair and collaborative culture where we treat everyone equally, with respect and dignity without exception. No applicant will be turned away due to differences of race, ethnicity, sexuality, gender, disability status, size, or appearance.