August 10, 2023
Senior Gameplay Engineer – Argos
If you have are having trouble submitting the form, please submit your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org Who We Are
OtherSide Entertainment is an independent game studio with offices in Concord, MA, and remote staff throughout North America. Our mission is to create deeply immersive games that draw players into richly imagined worlds; games that empower players to choose their own play-style, making their experience unique and personal; games that encourage players to team up with their friends and weave their own shared narrative; the kind of games that are powered by our players’ vision as much as our own. Together, we aim to evolve the “player-authored” tradition of Ultima Underworld, System Shock, Thief, and Deus Ex – all games developed by the company’s founders, Paul Neurath and Warren Spector.
Argos is a multiplayer-first, open world, immersive sim being developed by a small, senior team under the creative direction of Warren Spector. We’re looking for an experienced gameplay programmer who will work with design to realize player mechanics for locomotion, camera, controls, gear and immersive sim interactivity. A good design sense is a must. We’re looking for someone who can understand the big picture and who will advocate for what needs to get done. This is a key role that will be responsible for overseeing the work of other engineers in this feature area.
- Work in partnership with design to envision, implement and validate multiplayer mechanics, particularly locomotion, camera, controls, gear, and immersive sim interactivity.
- Work in partnership with art to realize character visual and motion goals.
- Collaborate with the Lead Engineer to develop the project roadmap and milestone definitions.
- Provide guidance, mentorship, and perspective to other engineers working on gameplay.
- 5+ years of game industry experience, or equivalent demonstrable experience. Ideal candidates will also have 2+ years in a role focused on building and maintaining game systems.
- Experience developing multiplayer games in Unreal Engine 4 or 5. Familiarity with the nuances and details of the engine is a plus.
- Expert-level skill programming with C++ in a professional environment. Candidates who prefer clean and simple code a plus.
- Shipped at least one game on console. Shipping multiple titles is a plus.
- Experience developing player mechanics that are robust in multiplayer.
- Robust communication skills. Comfortable exploring ideas and issues with designers, artists and other engineers.
- Self-motivated, proactive and able to work with minimal supervision.
- Passion for games across genres, and immersive sims in particular. No, seriously, we mean this one.
This is a full-time, remote working role, with competitive compensation and a full suite of benefits available anywhere in the United States. All team members may be asked to occasionally travel for key meetings, as part of their job responsibilities.
Our people-first approach to game development celebrates diversity, and strives to create a safe and inclusive working environment where everyone is treated equally, with dignity, and with respect. We highly encourage candidates from diverse and under-represented backgrounds to apply, even those that may not directly meet every qualification listed for this role.