[Mini] Update: PAXSouth, BackerKit, and…
Just wanted to give a quick update with some important backer information and exciting news that was revealed this week following PAX South!
PAXSouth Screenshots, Videos, and More:
Last weekend, OtherSide’s Joe Fielder, Paul Neurath, and Walter Somol flew to San Antonio to demo the latest build of Underworld Ascendant behind closed doors for press and influencers.
The crew had a fantastic time showing off the game, with a demo that concentrated on a few areas that we feel make Underworld Ascendant really special: the immersive sim ecology and the many options the player has for combat skill, stealth abilities, powerful magic spells, and a rich, interactive environment. (Fans of Looking Glass’ games smiled when they saw elements like The Silver Sapling and Soaker Arrows in action.)
Rather than provide a tightly-scripted demo, Joe showed off the game’s improvisational nature, taking audiences through a few high points, then letting them decide how to finish up a quest. Did they want to sneak past the remaining enemies? Use magic to set foes against each other? Or combine game systems to weaponize seemingly innocent crates using a non-offensive spell and fire?
We released a new video containing new footage (voiced by Stephen Russell) and screenshots including the first in-game looks at The Ripper, Eidolon, Spectral Knight, and Spectral Champion.
You can start to read some of the reactions and coverage online.
Here are a few highlights:
- TechRaptor – “An immersive sim that lets you wreak this much chaos is something that I simply must be a part of.”
- USGamer – “Underworld Ascendant feels like a boiling cauldron of a number of games I really love”
- Verge – “We’re looking forward to playing the game ourselves, to see if it lives up to its big promises.”
- Watch an IGN-exclusive video walkthrough (“Underworld Ascendant’s Multiple Choice Gameplay”) featuring the latest footage and narration by OtherSide’s co-founder Paul Neurath.
First Look: Cabirus
As a backer-first exclusive, we wanted to present you all with the first look at the spirit of Cabirus, a major character from the series’ backstory and your enigmatic advisor in Underworld Ascendant.
The concept art is from Robb Waters, who designed System Shock’s SHODAN and many of the most memorable characters from BioShock and BioShock Infinite.
As you know, Cabirus is given voice in-game by fan-favorite performer Stephen Russell, who’s known for Garrett in Looking Glass’ Thief games, Nick Valentine in Fallout 4, and Corvo in Dishonored 2.
You can hear his voice in our recent videos, his iconic mask appears in our new logo, and you’ll soon see him in-game.
BackerKit: Locking Orders February 15
We’ll be locking down all surveys by February 15, 2018 11:59 pm ET, so please log into your BackerKit account to review your survey information and make sure it is properly updated!
You will not be able to make changes to your order once the surveys are locked. This includes upgrading your pledge, buying add-ons, and changing your shipping address.
Next Insider Blog Available
Last but not least, a new Insider Blog written by Chris Maire is available for EXPLORER backers and above here.
(The blog post is password-protected. If you have forgotten it and are an EXPLORER-level backer or above, please refer to an earlier email for the password or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org)
That’s it for this time!
But know that with this latest event, we’ll be gearing up coverage about the game more and more each month in 2018 as we get closer to launch.
There’s still much about the narrative, bestiary, levels, skills and abilities, and more we haven’t revealed, let alone shown in screens or video. Next month, for instance? We intend to touch more on the game’s evolving environments, how player growth works, and our “big bad,” Typhon.
Much more is on the way from here on out! (Some due even as soon as next week…)
The Team at OtherSide
In Other News…
In case you missed it:
- Curious how Thief/Thief II systems and mechanics inspire games today? Watch Jared Mitchell’s level design video on The Bank from Thief II (also he’s on our QA team!)
- Arkane Studios’ Prey developers talk about their design process for building a modern immersive sim
- Ultima: Most. Important. Game Series. Ever. by Engadget
- Dark Blue Monkey recounts the first night he picked up System Shock and couldn’t put it down via GameTripper